Saturday, February 19, 2011

The trip that forever changed my life.- by Christy

Our late November trip was posted to New Year's Eve due to political unrest in Port Au Prince.  Little did I know at the time, the next several months of my life would be dictated by unrest in Port Au Prince.  Rob would now would take every chance he got to discuss possible adoption.  15 new little girls had been placed at the orphanage which was now located in Camatin, just a few miles from Coq Chante where only a foundation remains. For several weeks before I left Rob would say to me things like, "you are going to meet our daughter soon". I had still not hit the 100% obedience mark yet and had a hard time believing his words. 

A team of 22 left Knoxville on a dark rainy New Year's Eve.  I was well armed with cars (machines), dum dum suckers (pewilees), and an assortment of medicine, art supplies, baby dolls, shawls, and candies (bon bons).  Fortunately, travel was uneventful.  We arrived at the orphanage by mid afternoon, Saturday, January 1, 2011.  I was greeted by 25 beautiful smiling faces.  Farah immediately wrapped her arms around my neck and popped a big kiss on my cheek.  It was like we were Disney characters in a parade and the children could surround you with hugs and smiles. 

I spent the next several days marveling at the beauty of the Haitian people.  They had nothing and were so incredibly grateful for everything we had to offer.  It was usually a simple hug or sucker, but the hugs and joy we received in return weren't comparable to anything we had to offer.  I called Rob on Tuesday night and told him without a doubt, I had hit the 100% mark.  God was too loud to ignore here.  I believe I used the phrase "If you can start the process, call someone tonight".  I couldn't imagine not bringing a beautiful child home if there was even the smallest possibility we could do it.  It was a beautiful place where daily long to be but at the same time, the saddest place I have ever seen.  There was so much suffering there.  Life is so hard for everyone.

The night sky was like nothing I could have imagined.  You could watch falling stars fall for what seemed like minutes.  I spent some time on the roof of the orphanage.  Sometimes the team would go up at night and decompress from our day through prayers and songs.  Sometimes I would go up by myself and ask God to let me be His hands and His feet.  I often used those exact words.  I knew my life was forever changed by these people and this small piece of land in the middle of the Caribbean.

I spent my spare time during the day with the girls who stayed on the first floor of the orphanage.  Our rooms were on the 2nd floor and the girls were not allowed to come up there without permission.  I once took a 100 piece puzzle of cat down.  We never got it worked.  Guerline, a feisty girl about 8 and full of energy, would take the pieces apart at the same rate a few other girls and I would put together.  I passed out cars one day.  It took a while to get them to roll them back and forth to each other.  The girls would immediately put them in their pocket.  I finally got them to roll the cars to each other.  Berline sat on the steps one day for a long time rolling her car.  I took playdough down and quickly learned the words Pa Manje- Do not eat!  They loved the playdough and had fun after I finally showed them what to do with it.. 

We spent our last full day at the beach.  Berline and Benia attached themselves to me that morning.  Berline fell asleep on my lap in the truck.  Benia sat on my right side halfway laying in my lap.  I loved being needed by 2 precious souls.  I spent the day with all the girls playing in the Caribbean watching them drink Coke and eating chicken, until there was nothing left but splinters of bones. 

We loaded the big white truck early on Friday morning.  It was so hard to leave the tiny faces I had grown to love over the past week, but I knew I would see them all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment